Wednesday, December 30, 2009
To teach your little one about community service follow these steps:
1. Start with a concept that they already understand like sharing or cleaning up a mess.
2. Build upon the concept by putting the already understood concept into a larger scope. For example, we don’t just share food with our friends, but we share food with other people who need it. Another example would be, we don’t just clean the mess in our room, but we clean the mess in the park so everyone can play at the park.
3. Involve your toddler in the decision making process. Let your little one decide which area of the park to clean up or what type of food to donate to the food pantry.
4. Perform the community service with your toddler.
5. Develop a long term plan for community service to help reinforce the new concept. For example, you could clean a section of the park once a week or you could set aside one can of food for the food pantry once a week.
It takes time to teach your toddler about community service, so don’t get frustrated if they don’t seem to understand right away. Persistence is vital in teaching a new concept. Happy parenting!