This year I have decided to participate in a 12 weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by the blog Meal Planning Magic. Every Thursday I will be posting a new Christmas treat that would belong on a dessert table or a sweet homemade gift to give someone. If you would like to see more Christmas treats from other bloggers, then check out Meal Planning Magic every Thursday until Christmas.
For my first Christmas treat I decided to make a cookie mix in a jar that you can give a hostess gift at a party with a batch of fresh cookies to put on the dessert table. This simple gift is easy enough for kids to make on their own as a teacher’s gift. Some of my mom’s favorite gifts that she received as a teacher were mixes in a jar because they did not need to be eaten right away.
The mix makes 2 ½ dozen cookies. The cookies are very rich and delicious. The cookies have a nice chewy texture to them. This gift is perfect for the chocolate lover. The brown sugar layer has be compacted down and it can be tricky to get all the chocolate chips in the jar depending upon the size of the chips. I shook my jar around a few times to let the chocolate chips settle so I could fit all the chocolate chips inside the jar. I used a regular mouth 1 quart jar, but a wide mouth 1 quart jar might be a better option for this recipe because you can fit more chocolate chips in the jar and there would be less packing issues.
Ingredients for Triple Chocolate Cookie Mix modified from Taste of Home
- 1 quart canning jar
- 1 ½ c all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c cocoa
- ¾ c sugar
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c white chocolate chips
1. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the jar.
2. Add the cocoa to the jar on top of the flour.
3. Add the sugar on top of the cocoa.
4. Add the brown sugar on top of the sugar. You may need to pack this layer down.
5. In a small bowl, mix the chocolate chips and white chocolate chips together.
6. Add the chocolate chips to the jar. You may need to shake the jar a few times for all of the chocolate chips to fit inside the jar.
7. Add a tag with the recipe below.
Ingredients for Tag Recipe makes 2 ½ dozen cookies
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Beat the butter, egg, and vanilla until well mixed.
4. Slowly add the jar mixture to the butter mixture and mix well.
5. Scoop 1 tbsp of dough onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.