Monday, August 19, 2013

Canning Peach Salsa


I discovered just how delicious peach salsa can be when I lived in the middle of peach country. I will admit to being skeptical about fruit salsa since I had only experienced tomato salsas, but peach salsa is wonderful. Peach salsa is sweet, spicy, and refreshing. Opening up a jar of peach salsa reminds me of summer which I have come to appreciate more since moving to an area with four distinct seasons. There is something refreshing about enjoying a jar of peach salsa when there is a few inches of snow on the ground.

I like this peach salsa recipe because it uses lime juice to give the salsa a little extra flavor. The original recipe calls for white vinegar, but I used white wine vinegar because I like the more delicate flavor more with peaches. For the vinegar, the acidity needs to be at least 5%. The original recipe also calls for 4 jalapeno peppers, but I used 3 small cayenne peppers instead because most of the members of my family does not like the flavor of the jalapenos. There is a lot of cilantro in this recipe, 1/2 cup, which tends decrease in flavor over time. If the cilantro flavor has diminished a lot after opening the jar of salsa, then I add some fresh cilantro upon opening the jar to freshen up the salsa. I also soak my red onion in cold water for 5 minutes before slicing to remove some of the bitterness of the onions.


Ingredients (makes about 3 pints) modified from Bernardin (Ball's Canadian counterpart)

6 cup peaches, diced
1 1/4 cups red onion, diced
3 cayenne peppers, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp honey
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

Directions

1. Simmer all the ingredients together for 10 minutes.
2. Pack into hot sterile jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
3. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi--new follower here. You can see me at www.elegantblessings.blogspot.com OR www.dragonwomansmysticalmeals.blogspot.com


    I'cve canned peach salsa 2 years running now and we love it ! Last years recipe was sweeter. This years recipe is more like yours, and though I like them both, I think this years recipe will be more useful for different applications.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did peach salsa this year too - here's our recipe:
    http://sistersplayinghouse.com/2013/09/spicy-peach-salsa.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails